By Rida Lyammouri
November 16th, 2016
- There were at least 16 casualties and 21 injuries in violent attacks related to VEOs in Mali in October 2016.
- Out of 18 attacks MINUSMA forces were targeted 5 times, Malian Army 8 times, Barkhane forces 3 times, 1 civilian vehicle [ambulance at Malian Army checkpoint], and 1 attack rockets were fired on the city of Gao.
- At least 18 attacks related to VEOs operating in Mali in October 2016. Ansar al-Din officially claimed 7 out of the 18 attacks through its media arm al-Rimah, AQIM claimed 1 attack, and 10 attacks were unclaimed.
- Ansar al-Din remains the main threat to French, Malian, and MINUSMA forces. Ansar al-Din threat is high and most likely to continue in Kidal Region and in Mopti Region through Macina brigade.
- At least 11 Malian security forces members killed and at least 8 injured.
- 2 MINUSMA peacekeepers killed and at least 7 injured.
- 6 French soldiers injured and 3 civilians killed.
- Number of attacks per region:
- Kidal Region: 5
- Timbuktu Region: 6
- Gao Region: 4
- Central Mali: 3
- October 2016 witnessed worrying development, MUJWA splinter that pledged allegiance to so-called Islamic State in May 2015 claimed two attacks through Mauritania’s news outlet al-Akhbar.info. Attacks claimed took place in Niger and Burkina Faso.
- Niger and Burkina Faso borders area with Mali witnessed at least 4 violent attacks related to VEOs.